Campus Leaders is the region’s newest collegiate leadership initiative program offered through the Columbia Chamber. Campus Leaders is a skills-building program that aims to develop emerging student leaders while providing an educational experience with a strong emphasis on social and community awareness. Upon completion of the program, Campus Leaders participants will walk away with the knowledge and skills to focus their talents in best service to the greater Midlands region.
Throughout the seven-month program, Campus Leaders participants must attend and complete a required orientation and five monthly day-long sessions. Participants will study the qualities that make an effective leader, analyze individual leadership roles, and assess their personal leadership style and skills. They are then challenged to apply their skills by taking leadership roles in Columbia after graduation. This program will begin during the Fall semester and conclude in the Spring semester.
Over the seven-month program, participants will gain:
- An in-depth view of community issues
- The skills necessary to assume leadership roles after graduation
- Exposure to community involvement opportunities
- Unique opportunities to meet and discuss key issues with community leaders
The Campus Leaders program will be open to students at the University of South Carolina, Benedict College, Allen University, Columbia College, Midlands Technical College, and Columbia International University. Each college/university will first receive the list of candidates from their school to ensure all initial criteria is met.
All candidates must:
- Meet Sophomore standing or above during the program and be enrolled at one of the six participating schools
- Maintain full-time enrollment during the program
- Be within 2-3 years of graduation
- Be in good standing at their school
- Have demonstrated leadership within their schools or larger community
- Provide a letter of recommendation from a current faculty or staff member